Ian makes clean eating look so easy. Then again, nothing is easy if no effort is made. I’ve been watching Ian’s videos on youtube for sometime now and I’m always blown away by his recipes. Just thinking of tom yum soup makes my mouth water.
His soup video is a real quick noodle soup that’s perfect for lunch. I handed the recipe to mom and she made slight modifications (still using the same ingredients but serves 4).
– 3 lemon grass sticks, sliced
– 20 lime leaves
– 1 medium carrot, sliced
– 1 red and green pepper, julienned
– 3 garlic cloves
– 3 small green chilli
– 1/4 small cabbage, sliced
– ~ 25 button mushrooms, sliced
– 2 lemons and juice
– ~6 ounces fish sauce
– 1 tablespoon grated ginger
– 2/3 pounds shrimp, shell on
– 2 handfuls of coriander and green onions, chopped (optional)
– dry flat noodles, soaked (I used a 454g pack of rice sticks, you may use vermicelli or any other noodles)
1. Boil 1/4 pot water (I used a 12-16 quart pot). Added garlic, ginger, lime leaves, fish sauce and lemon grass. Leave for roiling boil for 5 minutes*
2. In the meantime, boil a large pot of water to cook the noodles
3. Add chilli, lemons and juice, cabbage, carrots, peppers, mushrooms to the pot and let it boil
4. Dump the noodles into the boiling water and quickly drain them (they take seconds to cook)
5. Just before serving, place the shrimp into soup to quickly cook; for about 2-3 minutes.
6. Serve noodles and soup with lots of coriander and green onions